Monday, June 16, 2014

Exploring Data Collection - Part 5

This blog post concludes my data collection exploration and in this post I will answer the remaining Why, When, Where and How questions regarding the data collection for this project.



Why

Why will I collect data in the way I have decided?

I discussed my research into different data collection methods in a previous post and now I want to explain my reasons for choosing a case study research approach by highlighting the pros and cons of each method:



As I explored different methods I swayed from one to another, at first I thought maybe a phenomenological approach was best, exploring the phenomenon of inclusive arts practice here and in the UK, but this didn't seem to satisfy the need to explore what was happening in terms of the how and why in inclusive arts in the two places. It didn’t allow for a comparison between the two in terms of human thoughts and actions either. Some methods seemed too inflexible for this project such as the grounded methods; this also required an intense amount of time collecting data to prove a theory in one area. At one point the ethnographical method seemed a good fit, but again it was focused on one area and looked more at the behavior within the culture and the reasoning, rather than allowing for an exploration in to personal experienced and attitudes and a comparisons of these from different places. In the end I settled on a case study approach. This method would give me the freedom to explore and discuss what was happening in terms of inclusive arts work at Epic Arts and then see how these practices and the attitudes that support them compared to those in the UK.


Why have I chosen to select some people and not others for interviews?


I have chosen the people I will interview for a number of reasons. The first being the aims and objectives of my project. The questions focuses on the perceptions, experiences and practices of activity participants, facilitators and programme managers of Epic Arts Cambodia and congruous organisations in the UK. So I needed to focus on these people at Epic Arts and also will look for the same in the UK:

  • Activity participants
  • Facilitators
  • Programme managers
Knowing the structure of Epic Arts in Cambodia, it was easy to identify these three groups of people. The second reason for selecting the subjects was due to time constraints. It would not be possible to interview all of the people in these three groups within the time scale so I needed to select people to reduce the time needed. I did this by trying to select a wide spread of subjects to ensure that the data was collected from a range of people whether they were male, female, Khmer, Western, disabled, non-disabled etc. I wanted the subjects to reflect the different people at Epic Arts, so I ensured that I interviewed a higher number of Khmer people as the organisation employs most Cambodian nationals and only a few westerners. This is the spread of interviewees:

  • Male – 17
  • Female – 12
  • Khmer – 20
  • Non-Khmer - 7
  • Disabled – 14
  • Non-Disabled – 13 

To ensure that I can collect data that is similar to this in the UK, I can use these numbers as a guide to determine whom I will interview. I have displayed the details in a spreadsheet to enable me to replicate the participants as closely as I can when in the UK.



  
When

When will I do the interviews/observations?



Regarding my planned timeline for the project, I will collect data in Cambodia during June, July and August and in the UK during November and December. I have been able to put together a timetable for interviews and observations in Cambodia (see previous blog post), but I can’t do the UK timetable at present as we are still in the process of confirming dates. I will be able to do this next month.

Where

Where will the data collection happen?



This is probably the easiest question to answer. Data collection will happen at Epic Arts Cambodia and then in congruous arts organisations in the UK that will include the following:








Where will I record and store my data?


I will use audio and video recording equipment to keep track of the data I collect and I will keep this on my computer and a back-up disk. Some of information will be shared, along with my thoughts on the public blog. This will act as a platform for my ideas and also a way of recording data for further analysis later.


How

How will I do the interviews/observations?

In order for the interviews and therefore the data collected to be high quality data that can accurately be read and analogized I need to insure that all interviews are conducted in the same way. I need an ‘Interview Protocol’;

“…..the rules that guide the administration and implementation of interviews ….the instructions that are followed for each interview, to ensure consistency between interviews and thus increase the reliability of the findings”.
(Boyce. C and Neale. 2006. p5)

I will do this though the interview guide that I discussed in my previous blog. I will then refer to the guide at each interview and observation to ensure that each one happens in the same way.


How will I record the data and how will I organize it for analysis?


As I have mentioned previously, I will video and audio record my interviews and observations and also take descriptive notes on a situation that is observed or the interviewee. Once each interview or observation is done, I will record the answers and notes in a table for each question, including details of when and where the data collection took place. This way I will have all the data related to that question in one place. Here is an example:




Once all the data collection is complete in Cambodia I will be able to decipherer the main themes and then begin to arrange notes and quotes in to tables that collate the themes together. Because I am a visual learner and it helps to see my ideas in front of me in physical form, so I may use post-it notes to keep a record of information gathered and be able to arrange these in to themes on a board or even on a washing line. As much as I enjoy research, as a creative I need to make things fun and visually interesting to encourage me and inspire me, so if I can get creative about the way I arrange or code my research I think it will really help me. Something like these ideas might be helpful for me.






References

Boyce. C and Neale. (2006) Conducting In-Depth Interviews: A Guide for Designing and Conducting In-Depth Interviews for Evaluation Input. Pathfinder International. USA


No comments:

Post a Comment