Sunday, June 8, 2014

Exploring Data Collection - Part 4

In this blog post I will explore the final 'What' questions regarding data collection for this project. In between the text I will share some art work created by the Inclusive Education programmes here at Epic Arts Cambodia. This work has been created by students from the Inclusive Arts Course and the Special Education Programme and is displayed and for sale in the Epic Arts Cafe in Kampot.
Art by an Inclusive Arts student - Epic Arts

What do I need to do before I hold the interviews?

First I need to decide on who my participants will be, this was covered in a previous blog post:


http://everypersoncounts.blogspot.com/2014/04/discovering-how-i-will-collect-my-data.html



But I also need to know more about how to hold an interview, what techniques will I employ and what will I need to know or practice before I interview people one-to-one.

I have not conducted research interviews before, but I have conducted job interviews and student assessment interviews, but I suspect a research-based interview will be different. One of my first thoughts was to look at advice and information about interview techniques. I found this table helpful in understanding methods for interviewing:


(Steinar, 1996, p137)

(Steinar, 1996, p138)
The key points I learnt from this were that I must be knowledgeable about my subject and know the ins and outs of it so that I am prepared is I am ever challenged or questioned about the subject. I need to know up-to-date information about inclusive arts and current discussions surrounding it. From looking at the information above, I also was reassured about my choices surrounding structure of the interview and ensuring clarity of questioning. 


Art by an Inclusive Arts student - Epic Arts
I am aware that I must be sure to allow my interviewees the space to talk and not to interrupt. But I am also aware that if I get a particularly talkative person in the interview, I may need to interrupt in a sensitive way in order to keep the interview on subject. I need to be aware of my body language and the way in which I convey that I am listening, being open and attentive and be careful not to convey that I am either closed, bored or not listening. Linked to this area is the aspect of remembering, I must be engaged and focused all the way through the interview so that I recall information shared by the subject and be able to re-produce it if required later in the interview, I will make simple notes along with the audio tape to help with this during the interview itself.

Art by an Inclusive Arts student - Epic Arts
In addition to reading about interview techniques, I was also very fortunate to be contacted by Dr Amanda Rogers from Swansea University who was in Cambodia researching for a PhD. 



She was exploring arts and Cambodian culture and wanted to interview someone from Epic Arts about what we do. I jumped at the chance, as not only would it spread the word of Epic Arts, but also give me the chance to experience a research-based interview.

The interview was very enjoyable and a lot more informal than I expected. The atmosphere was relaxed and there was space to share ideas and also some challenging questions to really get me thinking. Amanda had a list of questions, but these guided her rather than strictly structuring the interview. This allowed for the interview to go in a direction that the questions and answers took it in, but Amanda was also careful to keep the interview on track. She shared a little of her findings along the way and this made me feel like I was helping her and adding to the overall picture she was building, whilst this also encouraging me to share more.
 
Art by a Special Education student - Epic Arts
After the interview I felt like I had genuinely enjoyed the experience and I wasn’t nervous or in a position where I felt I would be ‘caught-out’ by giving a wrong answer. The questions were also well worded and I understood what she wanted me to talk about without any restrictive academic language that might have meant I was unclear. Overall it was a good experience and I learnt a lot about creating a relaxed atmosphere for the interview. From these two learning sources I have highlighted some aims for my interviews:

I will:
  • Be organised
  • Be flexible
  • Be accommodating
  • Be clear
  • Be relaxed and informal
  • Find a quiet place to hold interviews
  • Up hold good ethical procedures during interviews and observations
  • Explore answers from the interviewee deeply
  • Make interviewees feel safe
  • Share my learning and thought about what the interviewee has shared
My interviews will be:
  • Informal
  • Focuses
  • Relaxed
  • Enjoyable
  • Free and flexible but with clear direction
My interviewees will:
  • Feel relaxed
  • Feel like they are contributing
  • Feel able to talk freely
  • Understand the questions clearly
  • Not feel guilty about sharing honest thoughts and feelings
  • Feel they can trust me
  • Know how they have helped the research process
  • Have access to the blog and the final report at the end of the project

Art by an Inclusive Arts student - Epic Arts


What do I need to conduct the interviews?


Firstly I need a timetable for interviews and observations in Cambodia, this is easy as I have access to the weekly and monthly timetables at the organisation in Cambodia. To create one for the UK, I will need to wait until dates and bookings for the UK Tour are confirmed next month to enable me to make a timetable for UK based interviews and observations. Here is the timetable for the Cambodia based interviews and observations:







The second thing that I will need to ensure that my interviews and observations are conducted in the right way and the same way each time is to create an Interview Guide with the steps and processes that need to be followed. The guide will also need to contain all the documents I need such as the information sheet and the consent forms and also questions I will ask. Here is the Interview Guide I have created and will print and use throughout the data collection process:






As well as the guide containing the processes and questions, it will contain the following information sheet and consent forms in Khmer and English that will be photocopiable for each interview or observation:

 Information Sheet for Cambodia and the UK





 Consent form UK





Consent form UK - SEN





Consent form Cambodia





Consent form Cambodia - SEN





As I say in my information sheet, all images will be subject to the Epic Arts Photography and Social Media Policy, I will include a copy of this policy extract in the Interview Guide, so that participants in the data collection may read this.

Photography and Social Media 
(Child and Vulnerable People Protection Policy)


Please feel free to contact me with any questions and/or advice via email: laura@epicarts.org.uk. You can also subscribe to this blog by adding your email address to the area on the right of this blog.

Thanks


References

K.Steinar. (1996) Interviews: An Introduction to Qualitative Research Interviewing. London. Sage



No comments:

Post a Comment